Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Is Recycling Worth the Effort?

Some people will argue that the costs of recycling outweigh the benefits. In 1996, New York Times columnist John Tierney wrote a controversial post, "Recycling is Garbage". He claimed, “Mandatory recycling programs...offer mainly short-term benefits to a few groups -- politicians, public relations consultants, environmental organizations and waste handling corporations -- while diverting money from genuine social and environmental problems. Recycling may be the most wasteful activity in modern America…”

I disagree with Teirney's claim, though they're are many who would agree with him today that recycling is more expensive than trash disposal. However, when analyzed correctly, recycling programs are, in fact, cost-effective. For example, a typical recycling program can cost $50-$150 per ton of trash whereas a typical trash disposal program can cost $70-$200.

Cities need to establish improved recyling programs and not shy away from the costs. Yes, the costs should be analyzed just as any other expense, but recycling is beneficial and econmical in an immediate sense and in the long-term.

1 comment:

  1. I do not want to disagree with you on a monetary standpoint, as I cannot attest to that, but let me discuss recycling from a practical standpoint. My family and I stated to seriously recycle about 1 1/2 years ago whenever Abitibi put 2 giant recycling bins in the parking lot of the local grocery store. One was for plastic and metal and the other was for paper. We were excited about the possibilities (as too was the surronding community as evidenced by the amount of recyclable items placed weekly into the bins) and began cutting our trash output in half. We have continued to recycle faithfully since that moment, but recently things have changed. Abitibi no longer accepts cardboard, which confused us because we do not know the rationale behind the change. We have found someone who will take cardboard, but they are out of the way and we rarely get out there to drop it off. I fear that the surrounding community is not as diligent as we are and has since returned to throwing away their cardboard. I fear that in the near future that throwing it away will be easier than keeping a big pile stacked in the garage.

    My point in telling this is that for recycling to work the public has to be aware and enthusiastic of the options. I think that we are enthusiastic, but that the options are limiting. I am not sure whose job it is to help solve this problem - local government, private business, etc - but I know I don't have the time. I will recycle, but I want it to be somewhat convenient.

    ReplyDelete